About the congress
"University: the engine of change for inclusion"
Universities are still those big social drivers of change, able to transform environments and a person’s skills through learning processes and knowledge. They have always been at the head of human and social values, knowing how to deal with new scenarios brought by the 21st century society.
Knowledge has become a person’s principal asset, as well as that of an organization and of a society, in general. For that reason, the goal of reaching the highest level of education and knowledge has become a challenge for the community of people with disabilities. By reaching this goal, they could develop their talents and play an active role in creating a better world for all.
Universities are currently experiencing times of big transformation due to changes in education paradigms. There are many challenges that need to be overcome in order to improve the development and well-being of our society. In addition, they should keep taking steps towards ensuring equal opportunities, transforming themselves into inclusive Universities.
Since the approval of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of persons with Disabilities, all countries have a duty to ensure equal access of persons with disabilities to higher education, professional training, adult education and lifelong learning without discrimination.
The aim of this 4th Congress is to carry the torch from previous congresses and take the next steps regarding ideas, strategies and good practices that allow us to continue progressing towards models of inclusive universities, to be ready to confront the challenges of the 21st century.
The participants of the Congress will be University teaching and research staff of all of the five continents, technical, administration and service University staff, students and important representatives of associations regarding disability as well as other relevant experts and people interested in this area.
We would like to take this opportunity to invite everyone interested in participating in this Congress to apply and submit proposals for papers centered on good practices of research projects conducted within this area.
The Congress was organised with the support and collaboration of the Spanish Ministries of Education and Health, Social Services and Equality, the Royal Board on Disability, the Organization of Ibero-American States for Education, Science and Culture (OEI), the Conference of Principals of Spanish Universities (CRUE), the Spanish Committee of Representatives of Persons with Disabilities (CERMI), as well as the financial support of Vodafone Foundation and Universia Foundation.
Get to know and discuss the ultimate theories and models of educational innovations, as well as discuss inclusion experiences and good practices of universities worldwide. Moreover, get to know the most recent and relevant works and research projects on University and disability, which involve the progress in the improvement of the quality of life and education of persons with disabilities, in compliance with the Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- Provide ideas and proposals for the improvement of disability support services at Universities, through familiarization with new tools and techniques, in order to facilitate the exchange of experiences and user participation.
- Put in touch researchers from the field of disability with those working on the field regarding improvement of the quality of life of persons with disabilities.
- Contribute to direct contact between different actors that participate in the creation of policies regarding disability at Universities, in order to combine forces and reach mutual agreements.
- Make progress towards inclusion and dissemination of design criteria for all, for both the Bachelor and Master’s Degree Program, and its impact on society.
- Confront the challenges of digitalization and technologies, to make them accessible and convert them to engines for creation of equal opportunities.
- Confront the challenge of including persons with intellectual disabilities into Universities, as well as teaching and learning methodologies that facilitate cognitive access.
- Improve the knowledge about universal accessibility, as well as knowledge of new digital tools and learning platforms through presentation of new experiences and research projects.
- Get to know and discuss good practices regarding the transition from University into the workforce, and the improvement of employability and professional careers of persons with disabilities.
- Improve the corporate social responsibility of Universities regarding companies related to social economy that belong to the field of disability.